Trina's Scrapbook

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Trina's Journal Entry 1

11:30 pm.-My apartment. Okay everyone. I guess I’ll start things here. My name is Trina, former editorial assistant, now music reporter for the Philly Post and Rolling Stone.

Yes…Rolling Stone!! Can you believe this?

The past 48 hours my life of writing obituaries and news briefs has turned into me embarking on one of the most important milestones of my life.

Following the biggest band in the world around for eight months, writing journal entries about Bon Jovi.

For some reason, I didn’t know much about them. Even before I did a music review on them.

Go ahead tell me I live in a cave. But their style wasn’t something that I ever got into.

Duran Duran-yes? Bon Jovi? Ummmm… What songs do they sing?

Maybe that’s why I got this?

I have two friends who helped along this ride. I’m forever grateful to them.

To know me, you have to know what I was like before I got this gig.

I was at the Philly Post for five years doing the same thing over and over again when I noticed that ½ people I saw getting the bigger and better positions were ½ as talented as I was or were just as talented as me and quickly left for positions even bigger and better than the Post could ever give them.

Yet, for some reason, I couldn’t push forward to see what I could be capable of.

Sure I could write. I wrote in high school, college, and internships. However, I continued to be frightened of …What if? A couple of days before I did my review that led up this opportunity, I couldn’t help but question, ‘Why did I continue to do this and what could I do to stand out and get noticed? I was better than this.’

My friends encouraged and reassured me. The result? Hanging around with Bon Jovi. (I guess my friends aren’t bad ones to have huh?)

As I’m about to tell both Bon Jovi’s stories along with my own, we should all remember that everyone has a story. Good or bad. As right or wrong as that other person may seem, all of us have a side. I beg you to be mindful of that. Back to packing...(Will it ever end?) Take care and enjoy the ride. -Trina.


1 comment:

Sunstreaked said...

Too cute! Gonna be loving this journal with the story. What an original idea!